2.08.2009

Achterhuis

Since I've come to China I've read some books. This isn't a book review blog as I feel I'm in no position to give an intelligent opinion about literary works, but I will give an opinion. The first book I read was Chuck Palahniuk's 'Survivor'. Ironically I started and likely finished this book on an airplane. This fictional autobiography is taken from the black box of an imminently doomed airplane. It is written in a way that all of Chuck P's books are; brilliantly. The protagonist belonged to a radically exclusive religous group who's members grow up brainwashed and eventually suicidal. Really interesting despite all of the blasphemous parallels with my own beliefs.
Speaking of, the second book I read was C.S. Lewis' 'Mere'. C.S. Lewis also has a really engaging prose. He writes philosophically, but also metaphorically, which keeps things thought provoking and interesting. I believe his approach to the popular belief is very honest; nothing is sugar-coated or stuffed down your throat. Two elements which turn so many people off of religious readings (including myself).
Lastly, I snooped through Anne Frank's Diary. I had these preconceived notions that it was a tale of dangers, toil, Nazi chases and explosions. Instead it's rather slow going, with the story itself lacking content. However, if read from a historical or child development standpoint very fascinating! In my opinion the best part was the abrupt ending (not because it was boring) and the 1940's vocabulary.

No comments: