1.30.2009

facemolehairrule

My expectations for Chinese New Year have been met. Every night since the 25th we've had a personal fireworks display right outside of our window. A few days ago I went to go to some bar where all the young people go. It was very noisy, and I have a hard enough time understanding Chinese when I can hear clearly, so I opted to dance. There wasn't a dance floor which is strange, there also wasn't a floor, at least I was unable to see one. All there was were so many teens drenched in skirts, fancy pants, and cologne, shoulder to shoulder. There wasn't enough room to walk around, never mind dance around, but we made due. Yesterday the same group of people went to a place that had a cover band playing all the hits from the 80's. Rock and Roll! Tomorrow I start teaching English, which really makes me wish I knew how to teach.

The Face-Mole Hair Rule:
The face mole hair rule is; if you have a mole on your face, and out of that mole there is a hair/hairs growing, you are not allowed to cut it. I think it is a symbol of long life for the Chinese to have a giant slippery hair growing out of a face mole, because I can't think of any other reason why people don't cut it off. It's weird, but you see it quite often. I've seen one that was at least five inches.

3 comments:

grahamandkristy said...

James, you make me laugh!!! Mole hairs...I want a picture!! WE miss you little bro!

Anonymous said...

I have a mole on my back that as 8.5 inches of hair growing from it...the mole also has the diameter of a toonie. it pretty gnarly. katie likes it though...but i think she has a brain tumor somaybe she actually doesn't like it and it's just the tumor that likes it. who knows. maybe radiolab will will give me some insight on that one.
enjoy china dude, it's hella winter here.
strang

wilfbelf said...

I'm reading and I'm missin you bro.
We should talk asap.