I'm in Kunming. The air here is noticabley more fragrant and fresh, most other things are exactly like all other Chinese cities. My New Year's Eve was really amazing. First I was able to reconnect with all of the friends I made from the first time I came to Kunming. Then the seven of us went to a fancy-pants restaurant where we ate steak and drank wine and counted down the last of two thousand eight. There's a really big Columbian/Spanish contingent among these friends, so we salsa danced into the night. I'm living with Lulu and her family right now, they are very hospitable. Lulu is great company. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a train ticket to Nanning, I'm going to be living in JP's apartment for the week that I'm there, but he'll be in Thailand. I'm so excited to try and cook, and be able to clean, and be independant. I miss riding my bike so so so much, I've become ashamedly lazy, so much so that the sixth floor trudge to Lulu's apartment leaves me breathless. Chalk it up to travelling for now, but I can't go on living "without structure" (as my parents would definitely put it) for much longer. They have taught me well I suppose. Shockingly I haven't gained weight. I eat my face off every day. Today we had lamb skewers, hot pepper noodle soup, tofu soup, mash milk rice (looks/consistency like mashed potatoes but is really sweet and milky), sweet papaya soup, and the 'blood of lotus root' which has the consistency of glue, but is black in color and very gritty. It tastes like oreos, really delicious. Furthermore, ice cream treats are one and a half yuan, so I eat ice cream all day too.
Happy Birthday Graham.
No comments:
Post a Comment