12.13.2010

Day 6/7: JiaLeShui to JinLun to Taipei

This is the infamous surf beach, you can kind of see surfers near the top right getting tubular.


On our way back to return the scooters we stumbled across 'White Sand Beach'.


Enough time for a five minute dip


Wreck


When we were done with our scooters, we hitch-hiked to a nearby town to catch a bus. This here was our 'worst' hitch-hiking experience as the crusty coot, 'unfamiliar' with the principles of hitch-hiking, tried grifting us a cool 200NT just before he dropped us off. We gave him a few coins.


Our next pick-up was fully legit though, a 'FrogMan' in the Taiwanese Marines, straight business. He took us to his home in JinLun where a hot meal was waiting for us (including Rat soup...), and he found for us a place to camp out.


The spread!


He also took us to some hot springs.


Our hideout


This was our last hitch-hike, to TaiDong, where we got on a train back to Taipei. A note about hitch-hiking in Taiwan, it is remarkably easy. Of the total eight or so pick-ups we had, we never had to wait more than ten minutes, it's great.


I found out when I returned home that I actually had strep throat for most of the trip. Near the end it was interrupting my sleep, but I had so much fun on the trip that I was able to disregard it most of the time.

No comments: